The nomination window is now closed. Please check back October 2017.
Making IT Happen is an internationally recognized awards program for educators and leaders who have been instrumental in the field of educational technology integration in K–12 schools. The program identifies and rewards educational technology leaders in Kentucky for their commitment and innovation. The Making IT Happen Award is given annually by the KySTE Board of Directors. KySTE only accepts nominations from active members for this award. Each active member may only nominate one person for this award. The nomination process opens October 12, 2016 and closes January 20, 2017.
The Making IT Happen program was created in 1995 by Deb DeVries, Kathy Hurley, and Pat Walkington to recognize the contributions of individuals, especially classroom educators, in the field of education technology integration in K-12 schools. Since its inception, the program has grown into an internationally recognized awards program highlighting the dramatic role various educators, from the Secretary of Education to the classroom teacher, play in the learning process using high quality technology in the classroom. Designed for educators, the program identifies educational technology leaders around the world and rewards those individuals for their commitment and innovation. Since the program's inception in 1995, more than 300 Making IT Happen jackets have been awarded to outstanding educational leaders!
The recipient of the award will be announced in February and acknowledged at a special event during the KySTE Spring Conference in Louisville. Along with the jacket and recognition at the KySTE spring conference, the recipient's name is submitted to ISTE for consideration at the International level.
Making IT Happen Nomination Form (DOC)
Making IT Happen Nomination Form (PDF)
Nomination deadline: January 20, 2017 at 11:59pm.
Nomination Directions and Requirements
Organize all required nomination materials described below into one PDF file in the order given below.
- KySTE Affiliate Nomination Form
- KySTE Affiliate Nomination Statement (excluding cover Nomination Form, Nominee resume and letters of recommendation). The Nomination Statement is limited to the following size restraints: 1900 words, 2 pages in length, 10 pt. font, Arial or Times New Roman Style and 1” margins. This written narrative should provide KySTE with the reason for nominating the individual for the Making IT Happen Award (up to two pages).
- Nominee Resume or Vitae - Outlining professional background and experience
- Letters of Recommendation - A minimum of two and a maximum of three letters per nominee. Letters of Recommendation must include signatures.
If the nomination packet received is incomplete or past the deadline, the nominee will be disqualified and the individual notified of the disqualification. There will be no opportunities to complete the packet once the representative has been notified of disqualification. Those responsible for submitting the nominations materials are strongly encouraged to submit well before the deadline and request that the Affiliate Awards Committee Chair review submission and confirm that all items are received, accessible, and complete.
Recipients of the awards are educators who:
- Apply available technology now.
- Move forward and don't look back.
- See students as real people.
- Teach through relationships, inspiring, encouraging, nurturing.
- Recognize that further change is necessary but understand that it is a process.
- Realize that teacher empowerment is the key element in technology integration.
- Expect success.
- Motivate through awareness and access to information.